If you’re thinking about installing solar panels on your home in Maryland, and probably have lots of questions, like:
- Who are the best solar companies in Maryland?
- What Maryland solar incentives and tax credits can I claim?
- How much money will I save with solar and battery storage?
In the case study, you’ll find answers to these questions and more. We’re featuring a project that we did for Jennifer F, who hired EDGE Energy to install solar panels and battery storage on her home in Maryland.
Please keep in mind that every home is different.
If you’d like to get a proposal to install solar panels or battery backup for your home, please give us a call at (888) 586-3343, or take a second to fill out our contact form:
Based in Beltsville, Maryland, EDGE Energy has successfully completed more than 2,000 projects since 2006. We stand out as the only ENERGY STAR® Contractor of the Year and Master-certified solar company in Maryland (top 5% nationally). Every project comes with a satisfaction guarantee.
The Right Time with the Right Solar Company
Jennifer cares about her carbon footprint, but she’s a realist.
She didn’t want to install solar panels until it made solid financial sense. She was also concerned about finding the right solar installer because she has a cedar shake roof with lots of bump outs.
The Right Time: Lower Costs, Higher Incentives
“The panels got better, and the battery storage tax credits and solar incentives got better. Solar aligns with our values, and it makes good financial sense because we’re going to be in our house for a while.”
Jennifer thought about installing solar panels for years, but she waited for the cost of the panels to come down and the value of the incentives and tax credits to come up. When the time was right, she started looking for the right installer.
The Right Installer: EDGE Energy
When the time was right, she reached out to eight solar installers.
“We ended up choosing EDGE because of a combination of the cost, quality panels, ability to work on a cedar roof, and the strength of our neighbors recommendation.”
Jennifer first reached out to EDGE Energy because we installed solar panels for her neighbors, who recommended that she get in touch.
“EDGE Energy was responsive and supportive throughout the process. They did the design and went through both PEPCO and the city to get approval.”
The System: Maryland Solar Panels + Battery Storage
Here’s an overview of what we proposed installed on Jennifer’s home.
23 SunPower A-400 Watt AC Panels With Factory-Integrated Microinverters
Here are a few reasons that the SunPower A-400 Watt AC Panels work well for many homeowners in Maryland:
- Efficient: They have the most powerful cell in home solar, delivering the highest-efficiency module in residential solar.
- Light: They have a factory-integrated microinverter that is 60% lighter than prior SunPower microinverters and is engineered and calibrated by SunPower for SunPower AC modules.
- Integrated: They are part of the SunPower Equinox™ System, the only fully integrated solution designed, engineered, and warranted by one manufacturer.
- High Performance: They are designed to deliver up to 60% more energy over 25 years in real-world conditions like partial shade and high temperatures.
- Reliable: They have the best reliability and the best warranty in the industry, with a 25-year Combined Power and Product Warranty, including the highest Power Warranty in solar.
SunPower SunVault Energy Storage System with 13 kWh Capacity
The SunVault energy storage system integrates seamlessly with SunPower solar panels to provide energy, monitoring and intelligence to power your home with or without grid power. Here’s what we like:
- More Charge Cycles: They have advanced battery technology that stores solar energy efficiently and allows more charge cycles than conventional storage systems.
- Seamless: They have a Hub+ device that houses backed-up circuits and controls your solar + storage system for optimal performance and seamless transitions from utility power to battery power.
- Easy Monitoring: They have an LED Panel that gives you up-to-date information about system status, energy use and in-app alerts.
- Peace of Mind: They give you peace of mind during an outage and the freedom to manage your energy as you see fit.
Maryland Solar Incentives and Tax Credits
Here in Maryland, we’re fortunate to have strong cash incentives for rooftop solar systems. The incentives are managed by the Maryland Energy Administration (MEA). Please visit their website for the latest, including current funding levels, eligibility requirements, and steps to apply.
You can also learn more about the Maryland Energy Storage Income Tax Credit, which is administered by the MEA. Each year, the MEA gets a certain amount for tax credits, which are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.
The federal tax credit covers 30% of the cost of new solar panels and battery storage systems installed from 2022 to 2032. The credit rate decreases to 26% in 2033 and 22% in 2034.
System Performance and Payback
Net Zero from Day One
Jennifer’s 9.2 kW system produced about 10,400 kWh in the first year, which at the time was 132% of her electricity bills. In other words, she produced 32% more electricity than the electricity she used at home.
Here is an estimate of how much her Maryland solar panels will earn over time:
- 10 Years: $20,079
- 25 Years: $52,755
- 40 Years: $95,473
How is the Battery Storage Performing?
The power has gone out a few times since Jennifer installed her SunVault energy storage system. When that happens, her system fires up automatically to keep the lights on, fridge cold, and furnace running. Her house stays lit up when everyone else on the block goes dark.
We’re proud to help Jennifer zero out her energy bills and keep the lights on when the grid goes down. Her project came with a satisfaction guarantee, which we offer for every solar installation.
If you’d like help with your home, please give us a call at (888) 586-3343, or send us a message anytime.